Among others, the Faculty of Medicine awards the following honors and prizes:
- Dr. h.c. Rudolf Eberhard (11.06.1959)
- Dr. h.c. Oskar Dünisch (01.03.1969)
- Dr. phil. Dr. h.c. Heinz Götze (15.07.1972)
- Dr. h.c. Walther Weissauer (20.12.1975)
- Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. h.c. Erich Wünsch (24.01.1976)
- Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Jacques Bourguet (12.05.1979)
- Prof. Dr. med. dent. Dr. h.c. Robert M. Frank (07.07.1979)
- Dr. h.c. Hans Mohl (17.05.1980)
- Dr. phil. nat. Dr. h.c. Werner Fekl (16.05.1981)
- Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Wilhelm Doerr (26.02.1983)
- Dr. h.c. Kurt Köhler (10.12.1988)
- Dr. rer. pol. Dr. h.c. Erich Dieter Schneider (22.07.1995)
- Dr. jur. Dr. h.c. Christian Schelter (19.07.1997)
- Senator E.h. Konsul Dr. h.c. Theo Schöller (04.11.1997)
- Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. h.c. Klaus Kühn (24.07.1999)
- Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Karl Lennert (22.07.2000)
- Dipl.-Ing. Dr.-Ing. E.h. Dr. h.c. Hermann Franz (24.11.2001)
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Micha Levy (13.07.2002)
- Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. h.c. Georg Friedrich Melchers (05.07.2003)
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Bruce D. Minsky, MD, Ph.D. (17.07.2004)
- Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Harald zur Hausen (16.07.2005)
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Ralph M. Steinman (22.07.2006)
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Hermona Soreq (14.07.2007)
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Dontscho Kerjaschki (03.04.2008)
- Prof. Dr. h.c. Ronald C. Desrosiers (18.07.2009)
- Dr. h.c. Wolfgang Peter Schaffer (06.05.2010)
- Dr. h.c. Jeffrey Ravetch, MD, Ph.D. (18.04.2013)
In cooperation with the Research Foundation of Medicine (Universitätsklinikum Erlangen), the Faculty of Medicine biennially awards the Jakob-Herz Prize which consists of 10,000 EUR, donated by the Research Foundation of Medicine, a certificate as well as a medal showing the portrait of Jakob Herz. Jakob Herz was a prominent physician and researcher from Erlangen who became the first Jewish professor in Bavaria. He died on 27 September 1871 as a consequence of his selfless care for his patients (Research Report Jakob-Herz Prize).
The Jakob-Herz Prize honors outstanding scientific success in the whole field of theoretical and clinical medicine. Both, individual achievements in research as well as lifetime achievements, can be honored. The prize giving ceremony is organized by the Faculty of Medicine.
Awardee 2009: Prof. Robert A. Weinberg
Awardee 2011: Prof. Garret FitzGerald
Awardee 2013: Prof. Sir Peter J. Ratcliffe
Awardee 2016: Prof. Fred Gage
The Faculty of Medicine and the Research Foundation of Medicine (Universitätsklinikum Erlangen) annually award the Cord-Michael-Becker Prize for outstanding doctoral research in molecular medicine.
The prize consists of 5,000 EUR and honors the long-term engagement of Prof. Dr. Cord-Michael Becker, M.S. (IU Bloomington, IN/USA) regarding the development, institutionalization, and implementation of the degree program Molecular Medicine. Since 1999, this degree program has been combining medical problems with basic research and moleculobiological methods. It offers a very special qualification for a career in biomedical research (Research report Cord-Michael-Becker Prize).
To qualify for an application, the candidates must have completed a bachelor, master, or Ph.D. study at a participating university. The doctorate may not be older than 2 years. The prize giving ceremony is organized by the Faculty of Medicine.
Awardee 2013: Dr. Anke Bill
Awardee 2014: Dr. Lars Norman Sachs
Awardee 2015: Dr. Stephanie Ganal