Institutes and Departments
Institutes, Departments, and Chairs of the Faculty
- Preclinical institutes are primarily responsible for preclinical education. Research is focused on basic research, partly cooperating with clinical departments.
- Clinical-theoretical institutes teach students in their first clinical part of study, focusing on clinical-theoretical medicine. Research is mainly basic research, partly in cooperation with clinical departments.
- Clinical departments perform a patient-oriented research, partly in cooperation with theoretical institutes. They predominantly teach students in their second clinical part of study, focusing on clinical-practical medicine.
- The Medical Campus of Upper Franconia (MCO) is a joint project of Erlangen University Medical Center, Klinikum Bayreuth GmbH, and the University of Bayreuth for university-based physician training in Upper Franconia. The FAU professors at the MCO are also the directors of the specialist clinics and institutes at Bayreuth Hospital.
- The junior research groups of the IZKF offer outstanding, younger physicians or natural scientists specializing in one of the research areas of the Medical Faculty the opportunity to gain national and international recognition by successfully leading a long-term research project.