A European Network for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
FAU, Siemens Healthineers and the Fraunhofer Society are core partners in the EIT Health consortium. Medical Valley EMN e.V. is also on board as an associate partner. With a total project volume of over 2 billion euros, including up to 700 million euros in funding, EIT Health is one of the world’s largest publicly funded initiatives in the field of health.
Within the so-called Knowledge and Innovation Community (KIC) “EIT Health”, more than 140 companies, research institutions and universities from all parts of Europe are working together on various projects. Annual funding of around 80 million euros is expected to flow into the project over the next seven to 15 years. Thanks to these funds, EIT Health will be able to develop innovative products as well as educational programs and services that will help solve the demographic challenge in Europe.
Tenders for innovation projects
Once a year, there is a call for innovation projects in which scientists from FAU and Erlangen University Hospital can participate. Networking events are also held regularly within this framework.
What is funded?
The following types of tenders are of particular interest to researchers:
Funding is available for projects in the following funding pillars:
- “Innovation Projects” (research or technology, product and process development)
- Innovation by ideas (open-topic, science-driven)
- Innovation by design (issues are defined by industry partners)
- “Accelerator” (services and programs for nascent and young companies)
- “Campus” (educational offers on innovation-friendly thinking and entrepreneurial competence among students and employees in the health care industry, health care competence)
Projects should make a contribution to
- at least one of the following societal challenges
- promoting healthy living
- supporting active aging
- improving healthcare
- at least one of the following market-related issues:
- Lifestyle interventions / self-management of health
- Workplace interventions / overcoming functional loss
- Improving healthcare systems / treating and managing chronic diseases
- Entrepreneurship, i.e. with the help of the projects applied for and the networks behind them, company start-ups are to be stimulated.
- Integration of the so-called Knowledge Triangle (science, innovation, education
How is funding provided?
EIT Health offers on-top funding of up to 25% for ongoing projects already base-funded elsewhere or projects that are (almost) completed and whose results are to be further developed, commercialized and/or disseminated across Europe in a next step. Projects should have a clearly defined and achievable goal, such as the development of a new product/service. The preliminary projects can be self-financed or third-party financed.
What are the minimum requirements for the consortium?
- At least one partner each from science and industry
- At least two partners from two Collocation Centers (“CLC”, besides Germany: UK/Ireland, Scandinavia, Spain, France, Benelux) or Innostars regions (Croatia, Hungary, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Wales).
- In “innovation by design” projects, an industry partner must act as coordinator.
The partners must be members (Core Partner or Associate Partner) of EIT Health. In the Erlangen-Nuremberg region, FAU, Siemens Healthineers and the Fraunhofer Society are Core Partners. Medical Valley EMN e.V. is on board as an Associate Partner. The international partners are listed on the EIT Health homepage.
How long is funding available for?
EIT Health has an annual business cycle, meaning grants are allocated annually.
How time-consuming is the application process?
In 2015, the application consisted of a two-page form and a draft application of no more than 10 pages.
News and Events
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.