Funding Opportunities for FAU Researchers

Funding your research stay abroad

As an FAU researcher, you have different funding options for stays abroad:

  •  Alexander-von-Humboldt-Foundation mainly funds stays of international researchers in Germany. Other programs provide funding for researchers working at German institutions who would like to spend some time at the lab of a Humboldt fellow abroad. The Foundation funds people, not ideas or projects. Networking is an important aspect of their work.
  •  DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) provides individual fellowships for German students, teaching staff, and researchers going abroad and vice versa. Conference travels or travels in the frame of an international research project can also be supported.
  • DFG offers a range of international modules in the frame of funded projects or events.
  • Apply for a Marie-Sklodowska-Curie Fellowship to fund your stay at a European institution (or consider hosting a MSC Fellow from another country!).
  • European Research Council (ERC) grants support for individual researchers of any nationality and age who wish to pursue their frontier research. The ERC encourages in particular proposals that cross disciplinary boundaries, pioneering ideas that address new and emerging fields, and applications that introduce unconventional, innovative approaches.
  • Erasmus+ is an interesting option if you would like to teach at a European host institution. Funding for short training periods abroad is available as well.
  • International foundations, national and international industry, and science associations frequently offer fellowships as well.

Check the page “research funding and internationalization” for calls and information and feel free to contact Katrin Schiebel for further advice.