Opportunities for International Researchers and Physicians
Join the Faculty of Medicine
As one of the largest research universities in Germany, FAU offers a vast variety of subjects, modern research infrastructure, and a great potential for interdisciplinary research. The close interaction between research, teaching, and patient care provides opportunities to develop and validate new treatment methods.
We invite international researchers and physicians to apply as visiting or employed scientists (pre- and postdoc) or physicians.
You can find detailed information about research activities in the Faculty’s latest Research Report.
There is no central recruiting unit at FAU or Universitätsklinikum Erlangen. Recruitment decisions are taken by the heads of the different institutes. Please send your full application (motivation letter, CV, state of training, language skills, certificates, stipends etc.) directly to the department or institute you are interested in. Also, have a look at the the current job openings via the university’s job portal. We recommend you to familiarize yourself with formal requirements and habits of job applications in Germany before sending your application. The heads of institutes receive a large number of applications and inquiries, so the more targeted your application, the better your chances.
Many of the research groups at FAU are international and use English as a lab language – therefore, knowledge of German is not necessarily required. However, German skills will help you with social integration in the region. They are helpful, too, if you are interested in working with patients (observerships). If you are planning to practice medicine in Germany, German language skills (level C1 of European Reference Framework) are required to obtain your state license. The “Sprachenzentrum” of FAU offers German courses which are open to employees and guests of Universitätsklinikum Erlangen (with costs) .
- In order to practice medicine or dentistry in Germany, you need a temporary (Berufserlaubnis) or full license to practice (Approbation). Find out more about the recognition of international qualifications of physicians and dentists.
- For legal reasons, it is not possible to work here as physician without an employment contract.
- If you are offered a stipend or fellowship, please mention this in your application.
- For shorter stays, you can apply for an observership at Universitätsklinikum Erlangen. This means that you will not be allowed to work with patients, but can join rounds, observe treatments, study new lab techniques, participate in workshops, and review meetings etc. You do not need a license for such an observership.
- If you would like to do your specialty training at Universitätsklinikum Erlangen, you need to apply for a regular position as Assistenzarzt (physician in training). Weiterbildungsordnung der Bayerischen Landesärztekammer regulates the contents and duration of specialty training in Bavaria.
You first need to find a supervisor at the Faculty of Medicine. (For detailed information about research activities, check the Faculty’s latest Research Report.) You also need a degree which qualifies you for a doctorate according to national rules (of the country where you obtained your degree) and whose equivalence needs to be confirmed by the German authorities.
FAU’s “Welcome Centre for Mobile Researchers” assists you with any practical issues like visa, residence permit, authorities, bank and insurance issues, dual career, childcare, access to the IT system of FAU, German courses, social integration, etc. The Survival Brochure – “Welcome. Living in Germany, Research at FAU” answers the most important questions of international guests planning a stay at FAU and Universitätsklinikum Erlangen. Please register with them as soon as your stay here is confirmed.